Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thing #21

I started using Google Notebook, because I think this would be a great way to research your family history and then allow your family to view and edit as you find new information. My grandfather was also in WWII and I often research his division and I ask him questions as I go along. The Google Notebook would be very useful in this way as well. I can see using Google Notebook to do research with a group of people. The group can read and edit what others have written or researched. This allows many people to collaborate together on one page instead of on ten different pieces of paper.

I was also researching the Battle of Franklin on Google Notebook, because I am reading "The Widow of the South". This fictional book is based on true stories. So I was checking out the factual information as I read the book. As I was researching, I found that Google Earth has the Battle of Franklin mapped out for you. It shows battles, famous plantations, deaths of Generals, and many important details to the battle. Google Earth would be great to use to show important areas of the World. You can take a virtual tour of many locations of interests.

2 comments:

Mrs. M said...

Please check out my pictures from Carnton Plantation this summer. I was headed for Pennsylvania to visit with some of my mother's relatives and visit the cemetery of my grandparents and g grandparents. We stopped at Carnton along the way. I had listened to the book on audio book. My husband and I listened to it on the way. It was great to see the house. I think the guide told us that most of the details of battle were correct, but many of the others were made up. Zacharia didn't really exist, and there's no evidence that Carrie was really that depressed. You can still see the bloodstains in the floor and there are family pictures there.

http://web.me.com/carla_middleton/Site/Our_Summer_Vacation/Pages/Carnton_Plantation.html

Mrs. M said...

Also, I don't think Mariah was actually there during the battle. (I think that was her name...)